Jun 12, 2013

Plan A Wedding: THE Dress

So I have a long torso and short legs.  Standing at only 5'3," I am very close to the average height for a woman.  However, my insecurities dictated how I saw myself in those dresses.  In the end, I could not fall in love with how I looked in a ball gown or sheath silhouettes.  Of course I love the ball gown style.  After all, I grew up on Disney princess movies and that influenced my wedding dreams growing up.  Alas the style does not give me the elongated look that I found with the A-line and fit-and-flare (sometimes mermaid).

Lessons
Know when to STOP: This lesson has been told to me many times before I started.  However when I started searching it was very difficult to stop.  I fell into the trap of believing there is one perfect dress.  So I went through many beautiful dresses, but could not figure out what I saw through all the comments from people.

Go Critical: I found my shopping trip was a lot more productive when I went with more critical friends and family.  Though the right type of critical.  Someone who could still look at dresses critically but with consideration of my taste.  Wedding dresses are beautiful.  They make people look beautiful.  So when my friend always said "Oh you look beautiful," it was not helpful.  But when their dialogue became "This dress.. looks better than" or when comparisons occurred.  That became very constructive comments.

Sometimes you will cry but more often you will just get a feeling of "this is the one."  So all those shows where the bride cries.  Not what you should be aiming for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting... stay curious.