May 27, 2013

Introduction: Spa World, Centreville, VA

If you are ever in DC and have a day (or just half) with nothing planned, you should check out Spa World.  It is a Korean spa located in Centreville, Virgnia, you will find it in the middle of a strip mall with a H Mart.  Recently a Tous de Jours opened up next to it, which is delicious start to our morning (at 8:00am).  C loves the jam breads and I prefer some meat in mine.

Just a warning: you will be totally naked, it is not as discomfortable as you expect but it is a part of the experience.

Spa world is open 24/7 and so far we have never had an issue in going in whenever.  It has never felt crowded (usually 5-10 people in the general area and 10-25 people in the woman's sauna).  We have always bought a sauna+poultice admission, which costs $40/person.  This seems like a lot, but we feel it is worth it.  It gives us 12 hours worth of access.  Though the longest we've stayed is about 4 hours.  You can easily stay 12 hours if we prepare for it, because there is free wifi!

You pay for the general admission only and are given a locker number and orange (female) or yellow (male) outfit.  This consist of a T-shirt and shorts.  I have never been asked my size, but the outfit always fits.  The locker number in 1000's are men and 2000's are women.  At your locker, you will store your shoes.  Once closed, you cannot open it again until you leave.  So do not store anything you might later need!  If you must open it, please talk to the front desk.  That key is now your key for the associated sauna locker and any additional charge.  Instead of carrying around money, you just charge any purchase to your key.
From the main entrance, you will proceed to the separate gender's sauna to either enter the pool/sauna or the poultice room.


Upon entering the women's sauna, you will see middle-aged Korean ladies sitting around in blue uniforms or their underwear.  If you decide to get a body scrub, one of these ladies will get really familiar with you.  (More about body scrubs here).  Otherwise, find your locker and put away your clothes and stuff.  I usually head to the sauna/bade pool room first.  So will store my orange outfit.

You must be naked to go into the pool/sauna.  But there are small towels provided, so if you want to cover up slightly this can help.  I enjoy that there was a wide range of people who come to Spa World and as a result a wide range of bodies.  My first time, I was very self conscious about every inch of my body.  But seeing women my mom's age and little kids and just women of all shapes and sizes walk around naked, I was able to overcome my own self-conscious thought.  Though there are women with perfect bodies, but I never felt anyone was judging or even paying attention to me.

When you enter, the showers are to your right and left.  Both standing and sitting showers are available.  You need to shower first before stepping into the hot tubs or bade pool.  (Shampoo, Conditioner and body wash is provided if you are not picky)
The bade pool in the center is at 94 degrees F and has various stations that can provide a "massaging" experience.  The ones closest in the picture have jets that massage your foot and back.  Over on the top left, is a shower that I use to massage my shoulder.  Even now I have not fully determined how to properly use all the stations, but I just enjoy them.  
There is a children's pool that is also 94 degrees, 2 hot tub (1 with jet and the other without) that are 105 and 115 degrees.  A cold pool that is 60-something degrees, which I always avoid.  The two doors on the top left lead to a dry sauna and wet sauna.  In the middle is a sunflower shower which C always goes under forgetting it is cold.  There is also a infrared resting area, but I have no idea how it feels or what it does.

The poultice rooms can be found in the general area.  These rooms are generally hot and have walls, ceiling or floors lined with the material found in the room name (i.e. Red Clay Ball Room).  Next to each room is the healing properties of room.  Personally the red clay ball room is my favorite, but that could be due to the comfort in lying there.  The most beautiful room is the Amethyst room, which is simply gorgeous (see below).   
My tour is usually to slowly move around each room, staying longest in red clay ball.  But I have a tendency to get silly so it is most fun when C and I are the only ones in there.  I do not enjoy the  wood room (I think it's oak), so I sometimes skip it.  There is also a cool room that is very cold so I usually go back to the general area and rest a little before going in.  The sudden change in temperature can make me blackout/dizzy.  
In the general area, I will usually relax with a cool cup of water (free) or a iced green tea ($4).  If I remember, I will use a 15 minute face mask ($2.50 in the women's sauna).  So far C has always been willing to stay next to me when I have that on.  Though I have not seen anyone else using one in the common area besides silly me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting... stay curious.