Mar 9, 2013

When layovers becomes night over... US Airways (Orbitz)

On my recent trip to Miami, C and I did not make our connecting flight to Miami and got stuck in Philadelphia.  The experience has given me some insight to the airline industry.  All those times I had thought the airlines are at fault, there is another potentially guilty party.  The tower.  Another lesson, do not book flights at large airports with only 44 minutes layover.  Orbitz.com and other booking sites, here is a thought, maybe you should not even suggest such flights.  That way, we would not have situations of missed flights.

Here is our story...

Our original flight left a couple minutes late and arrived 10 minutes late to Philly.  It took a few minutes for us to deplane, so we got out the door at 7:55-ish.  To get to our connection at gate A16, we had to take a shuttle to go from Terminal F to Terminal A.  Thanks to Insanity, C and I were able to actually run with our luggage.  Who knew that is how we are testing Insanity's efficiency!  In the end it would not have mattered, because we had to wait for a shuttle to arrive.  By the time the shuttle arrived, we had an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair waiting with us.  As is polite, he was allowed to go first and the rest of us boarded once he was.  The clock showed 8:09PM.  I was optimistic.

Driving through the tarmac, we were making good time until a gas truck backed up in front of us.  It was excruciatingly low watching it slowly back away from the plane... block the way for both us and another shuttle.  Slowly the minutes ticked up, 8:10, 8:11.  Then we were off again, headed towards Terminal A.  C and I contemplated whether there would be two stops for A and B or if it would be combined.  We finally arrived at terminal A/B at 8:12.  C and I were the first ones off the shuttle (apologies to the ladies I squeezed past) and ran up the escalator, with suitcases in hand.  I was very proud of my new arm muscles.  Racing down the hallway, I almost cheered upon seeing moving pathway.  I could run on those and be even faster!  Plus A16 was in sight.  Time 8:15PM



Finally we arrive within earshot of A16 and I see Nadrea D. closing the door.  "WAIT!" I shouted and she paused.  I felt jubilation bubble up within me.  We made it!  We defied fate and made it!  Then she gave me a look, not of pity but annoyance and firmly closed the door.  "We don't wait" she said back.  I refused to believe her, still running I arrive at the door and plead... "our flight was late.  We couldn't help it!"  She responded with a firm "doors are closed" and walked away.  There was no consideration for our fate.  I was shocked by our inability to defeat fate and her attitude.  All the optimism I had held onto fizzled and I felt anger replacing it.  I shout after her, "what can I do?"  She turns around long enough to shout back to me, "special services" and she was gone.  The time: 8:17PM.  I felt sick.

Upon arriving at Special Services, we were greeted by Sabrina W.  I had accepted that we were most likely not going to get any flight tonight for Miami, but I held out for miracles.  (I am an eternal optimist... bordering on stupid).  She smiled... the first smile I had seen since landing in Philly.  Sabrina W. was amazing.  She efficiently explained to me the policies the airline faced.  Even if an attendant from terminal F had contacted Nadrea, the tower would not let her hold the gate.  Plus she probably knew there were incoming flights that connect with hers.  However, she was limited by her responsibilities.

It was quite simple, Sabrina explained things to me.  She took the time to smile and spoke rather than shouted.  There was no eye rolls or sighs of annoyance, which I saw around me.  She listened to me to explain our situation without making assumption that everything was our fault.  In the end, she worked to get us a hotel so we were not sleeping at the airport Tom Hanks-style.  We are book on the next flight to Miami, leaving tomorrow and in nice seats.  So US Airways, thank Sabrina, because without her this blog would have been a full out complaint about your services.  Instead, one person made my experience bearable and left me a better impression of your airline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting... stay curious.