May 10, 2013

Looking back... Things to Consider BEFORE starting Insanity

Now that I have finished Insanity, I can say there are a few things I wish I had done/considered before I started.
  • If prone to plantar fasciitis, then be extra careful when working out, because there are many workouts involving "bouncing" on your toes
    • I felt better doing it bare feet but in the long run it creates more problem for me (according to my doctor)
  • Be careful with your knee.  Shaun T mentions it often but not when my knees actually hurt during, such as the in-and-out for plank.  It comes down to form and not bouncing in too far; just enough to work your abs
  • Consider your shoe selection: I went to Finish Line and got Pureflow Brooks.  Prior I had Nike and during the bouncing my arches really hurt and felt pinched.  These shoes are great for Zumba and better for Insanity.  However it is not preventing the pinching, which I still feel sometimes.
By my last week, I was able to work out without hurting my foot or knees.  Now I am trying to continue working out so when I do Insanity again, I do not have the same painful experience.

But we always made sure that I had head pads available.  Eventually I started using cloth bags filled with rice (not Uncle Ben).  This would retain the heat for about 5 minutes when headed for 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting... stay curious.