Jan 24, 2013

Review: Invati Shampoo & Conditioner by Aveda

Aveda Invati Shampoo & Conditioner (5.8/10)
As readers of my budget cheat: Aveda Institute know, I go to Aveda for my hair cuts.  The stylist recommended, to me the Invati collection.  While I was there the last time, Aveda was having a sale of 20% of all products, so I purchased the Invati shampoo and conditioner.  
Benefits: reduction in hair loss, less breakage, and cleaner scalp (supposedly)
Aveda claims that in a study, there was a 33% reduction in breakage.  I am skeptical, because I have not seen any true benefits.  Keep in mind I was using the Clear Scalp shampoo and conditioner before this.  Plus the conditioner leaves my hair tangled more often than most  prior conditioner I've used.

Shampoo: First the science - The bottle says the scalp is cleansed with wintergreen-derived salicylic acid.  Salicylic acid is commonly used to clean pores, which we see in many acne cleansers.  The works by causing the skin cells to shed properly and prevents clogging.  However it is generally associated with willow bark, wintergreen extract creates methyl salicylate (used for joint pain).  Ginseng when consumed orally can reduce stress and turmeric contains curcumin suppresses TGF beta one.  TGF beta one plays a role in death of hair follicle and hair loss.  Benefit from using on the scalp is not conclusive.  
Now my personal impression - The shampoo comes in a 6.7 fl oz bottle and smells very herbal, but not unpleasant.  I felt like I have to use quite a bit to get my hair to sud up.  I am about half way through this bottle and I started using it a month ago.  After washing, my hair does not feel especially cleaner than any other shampoo.  If anything it feels more oily quicker than before.

Conditioner: First the science - Rapeseed oil contains 10 times the Omega 3 fatty acid than olive oil.  Just like DIY hair mask recommends using olive oil, rapeseed actually does the same.  Sugar beet is a good source of folic acid , which promotes red cell formation and activates hair follicles and growth.  Kukui nut oil is commonly used with dry hair as it aids in dandruff and itchy scalp.  
Now my personal impression - The conditioner comes in a 6.7 fl oz bottle and smells like the shampoo.  After using it for a month, I am not impressed with how easily tangled my hair gets.  My hair usually (not always) feels smooth coming out of the shower, but by the end of the day it will usually get tangled.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong because this was never an issue after visiting the Aveda salon.

Overall: No change in hair loss, so I would probably go back to the Clear Scalp considering the cost.  Hair is more likely to be tangled, which I do not enjoy.  Hair feels dirtier quicker, which is also unpleasant.  It is difficult to justify the price considering the results, but if you have disposable income then...